- Upgrade overview
- Where do I find firmware updates?
- How do I check my module firmware versions?
- Do I need intermediate versions?
- How do I get the SHU file to the HQ?
- The SHU file is on HQ, now what?
- Can I downgrade a module?
- Are upgrades free?
1. Upgrade overview
Here’s a quick overview of the steps involved. Details follow in later sections.
- Download a SHU file to your laptop or desktop computer
- Upload the SHU file to HQ
- Plug the Programmer module (PG) into the module you will upgrade
- Go to the Modules page for the module you will upgrade
- Hit the Upgrade button
- Wait for the upgrade to complete
- Unplug the PG
2. Where do I find firmware updates?
Firmware updates, or SHU (SharksHead Update, pronounced as shoe) files, are available from this site in the Firmware updates page.
The top of the page lists the most recent version for each module type. Below this is the complete list of all previously released versions.
Updates are stored in .shu files, each encrypted and cryptographically signed to ensure you are using a genuine update created by the SharksHead team.
3. How do I check my module firmware versions?
Go to the Modules page for each of your modules. The firmware version is at the top of the page.
4. Do I need intermediate versions?
If you have a module on, say, version 0.3, and the latest version is 0.6, you do not need versions 0.4 and 0.5. Every update will take your module directly to the new version.
5. How do I get the SHU file to the HQ?
Once you have the SHU file on your laptop or desktop, go to the Updates page and select the Upload link. Then either drag-and-drop the SHU file into the light grey rectangular area or use the Browse… button to select the SHU file.
When the SHU file is successfully transferred to HQ you’ll see the SHU file name in a box with a green border, like this:
6. The SHU file is on HQ, now what?
Go to the Modules page for the module you’re about to upgrade. At the bottom of the page will be a list of possible upgrades, the one in the SHU file you’ve just uploaded should be at the top of the list.
If you’re upgrading the HQ then all you need to do is hit the Upgrade button. The HQ (Mo 0) will go violet-dot in the status panel until the upgrade is finished. Don’t leave this page until Mo 0’s violet-dot goes away. The update is in progress while the violet-dot is shown. That’s it for the HQ, it’s upgraded and you’re done.
If you’re upgrading a module then you’ll need to remove its lid and plug the Programmer (PG) into the module’s 6-pin header. Plugging in the PG will turn the module violet-dot and the PG’s display will show the module number.
Next, hit the Upgrade button on the Modules page. The upgrade will then commence, with the PG showing a locked padlock and a progress bar, and the status panel showing the percentage completed. The upgrade is complete when the percentage indicator on the status panel goes away.
Unplug the PG, pop the lid back on, and you’re done.
7. Can I downgrade a module?
Yes and No.
You can downgrade the firmware on every module except the HQ.
From the Modules page for the module, simply follow steps 3 through 7 from the Upgrade overview above except you hit the Downgrade button against the downgrade version.
8. Are upgrades free?